Luckily – I knew exactly which piece I was going to work with as soon as I got the challenge post ready. The little quilt top above is one that I made at the 2012 Quilts by Barb Retreat. I pull it out every few months and stick it on my wall and try to decide what to do to finish it. This week it was time to finally do just that!
Step 1 – Cut up my quit top into 3.5” squares.
Next – I took my bucket of half square triangles and
randomly sewed them onto the corners of the 3.5” squares.
After putting it up on the wall I realized if I added some more half square triangles I could wonky stars! I also grouped some of the lighter fabrics together so that a few of the stars would really pop out.
One of my biggest Project QUILTING challenges is keeping Pip occupied so that I can work on my quilt. Here’s the quilt she laid out on my design wall using my collection of 2.5” squares.
It was time to sandwich the quilt and quilt it!
I was inspired by one of Angela Walter’s quilting books to make some fun designs on my piece. I used a variegated aurifil thread.
Once the quilting was done I tacked down the flange I had put on before the border to make it ‘wave’ throughout the piece.
I’m so happy with how it all turned out. It’s crazy busy but 100% my style!
The quilting is fun too and it was really great to just play around with my free motion on this one.
Because my friend Trish is always giving me crap about boring backs for my quilts I put a sort of cool one on this one. I sewed the hanging sleeve on right with the binding.
Just another random close up.
And with that! My quilt is done!
Name: Universal Pandemonium
Machine Pieced and Quilted by Kim Lapacek
Finished Size: 30” x 30”